Dr. Tanya Chaudhary
Assistant Professor , School of Global Affairs
- B.A (Hons.) Geography, Miranda House, DU (2009-2012)
- Masters in Geography (2012-2014, JNU)
- Masters in Regional Planning (2014-2016, SPA, Delhi)
- Ph.D, Development Studies, Dr. B.R Ambedkar University Delhi (2016-2021) Topic: Contested Spaces and Labour in Urban Landscape: Case Study of a Peripheral Industrial Area in Delhi
Research Project :
- Tribal Migration from Rajasthan (MoTA),
- Gender Transformative Element in Cash Transfer Scheme for Girl Children Across Eight States in India (UNICEF),
- Research Consultant, Town And Country Planning Organisation (MoUHA) (June 2016-Nov 2016)
- Associate Fellow, Institute For Human Development, Delhi, (July 2021- June 2023);
- Guest Faculty at SGA (Urban Studies) at AUD for BA sustainable urbanism (2022-2023)
My Zone / Area of Expertise
- My research work contributes to the discipline of Urban Studies, Labour Geography, Migration Studies and Development. I teach courses on understanding various processes involved in shaping the urban landscape and production of urban space through qualitative research methodologies.
- Junior Research Fellowship (UGC), Geography
- AUD- Indiana University, Bloomington, Exchange Ph.D Fellow for fall semester, 2018.
- An Assessment of Livelihood and Working Conditions of Industrial Workers in Delhi: A Case study of Narela Industrial Estate, Manpower Journal ,National Institute of Labour Economics Research and Development, (An Autonomous Institute under NITI Aayog) , LII, 31-52 (2018)
- Understanding life work of migrant industrial workers in contemporary city of global South: Bridging urban development with precarity in labour market, Journal of Migration Affairs, II(1), 91-112, (2019)
- Struggles of Housing and Livelihoods: Displaced Urban Settlers in a Peripheral Industrial Region of Delhi, Urban India, NIUA , 39(2), 96-112 (2019)
- From Spaces of Work to Spaces of Struggle: A case study of NOIDA domestic workers, City, Culture and Society (Elsevier), 20, (2020)
- ‘Waste’ to ‘use’? Making of ‘Narela’ in periphery of Delhi metropolis, GeoJournal (Springer) , 80, 2105-2117, (2020)
- “’Engels’ ‘Proletarisation’ and ‘Great Towns’ vis-à-vis Dispossession, and Gendered Work in an Informal Economy", Human Geography, (SAGE)14(20) (2021 )
- Co-authored (Second author with Prof. Babu P. Remesh) Small Jobs, Big Worries: Insecurities of Gig Work in the Time of Pandemic, Journal of Development Policy Review (JDPR) (1) 24-43 (2021)
- Mobility, Translocality and Social Reproduction during COVID 19: A case study of migrant workers in the Narela Industrial Estate, Delhi, Social Change, (SAGE), 52(2), 223-238 (2022)
- “Changing Scenario of Indian Labour and New Labour Codes: A Critical Analysis” Co-authored (first author with Prof. Babu P. Remesh), Christ University Law Journal, 10(2) 1-18 (2022).
Other than Journal Articles:
- Displacement and livelihood of industrial workers on the periphery of Delhi: Case study of workers in Narela Industrial Estate, The Leaflet, 2nd May 2022
- Why stone-carving industry in Rajasthan should be identified as hazardous, The Leaflet, 4th December 2021.
- Displacement: Narratives of Contestations and Negotiations”, GenderEd2022 Blogathon, University of Edinburgh and Dr B.R Ambedkar University Delhi. 30th November 2022
- Working paper prepared on ‘Urban Livelihood Programme for Informal Workers: Livelihood Challenges for Informal Workers’ for INHAF.
Seminar / Conferences
- “Labour, Livelihoods and Death in Stone Carving Industry of Rajasthan”, presented in ReWorking Work - Philomathia Social Science Research Symposium at Murray Edwards College, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK. 29th June-1st July 2022.
- Tribal Migration from Rajasthan, presented in Annual Conference International Society of Labour Economics, IIT-Roorkee, April, 2022
- “’Engels’ ‘Proletarisation’ and ‘Great Towns’ vis-à-vis Dispossession, and Gendered Work in an Informal Economy", presented at Royal Geography Society Annual Conference, London, 2021.
- “Workers come and go”: Oral Histories and life course perspective to understand ‘work’ and ‘cities’ in Global South” presented in Yale Modern South Asian Workshop, February 2020 at Yale University.