Dr. Sunalini Kumar
Associate Professor , School of Global Affairs
- M.A., Social and Political Sciences, University of Cambridge, U.K
- M.Phil., Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. “Title of dissertation: The Discourse and its Discontents: A critical study of theories of nationalism”
- Ph.D Department of Political Science, Delhi University. Title of thesis: “Planning, Politics and Protest: A study of urban development in the National Capital Region”
Seminar / Conferences
Invited Talks: International and National
- Resource Person, UGC Orientation Programme, Jamia Millia Islamia, November 2018.
- Delegate, Fourth Australia India Youth Dialogue, Sydney and Melbourne, Australia, January 2015.
- Resource person at University-level workshop on “Political Institutions and Processes in Comparative Perspective” organized by Department of Political Science, University of Delhi; presented paper titled “Nation-state: Historical Evolution and Debates”; January 2013.
- Lecture titled “Humanities for a post-Humanist World” as part of an international lecture series titled Conversation on Humanities, sponsored by Faculty of Humanities and Linguistics, Addis Ababa University and Brown University Advanced Research Institutes, Ethiopia, May 2011.
- Resource person and speaker, postgraduate students workshop on the humanities in Asia, Africa and Latin America, organized in collaboration with Faculty of Humanities and Linguistics, Addis Ababa University, and Brown International Advanced Research Workshops, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, May 2011.
- Resource person and paper co-ordinator for the course module Critical Traditions in Political Theory in One-Day Workshop organized by e-pgPathshala, MHRD project of Government of India, October 2012
- Resource person, National Consultative and Training Workshop organized by Child Relief and You (CRY), Mumbai, June 2005.
- Presentation, International Workshop titled “Pathways to Sustainable Urbanisation” organized by International Social Science Council, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Institute of Development Studies, Sussex, January 2016.
- Paper “How do we solve a problem like Delhi? Capital City Development and National Planning in Early Postcolonial India” presented at International Seminar titled Urbanism, Exclusion and Social Change organized by the Humanities and Social Sciences Department, Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan, March 2016.
- Presentation on “The Crisis in JNU” at Teach-in, Brown University, Providence, U.S.A, February 2016.
- “Regional Planning in Delhi-NCR: Rural-urban Transition, Land Acquisition and Peri-urban Space Making” presented at International Workshop titled “Challenges of Food, Water, Energy and Waste for Select Regions of India” organized by International Social Science Council, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Institute of Development Studies, Sussex, November 2014.
- “Congress and Urban Development in Delhi” presented at International Conference titled Urban South Asia: 1850 to the Present organized Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities, Oxford University, U.K, October 2014. Awarded Oxford University Prize for Best Paper.
- “Urban Entrepreneurs and Collaborative Suburbanisation in Delhi-NCR: Revisiting the State-Society Debate of the 1980s” presented at International Seminar Frontiers of Political TheoryJawaharlal Nehru University, January, 2014.
- “Chronicle of a Death Foretold: The Lethal Geographies of Delhi’s Periphery” presented at International Workshop Human Rights Beyond the Law: Politics, Practices, Performances of Protest organized by Jindal Global Law School, September, 2011.
- Discussant, Plenary Session, International Workshop Human Rights Beyond the Law: Politics, Practices, Performances of Protest organized by Jindal Global Law School, Sonepat, September, 2011.
- “Global City; Local Protest” presented at the Globalising Urban Histories Conference organised by the Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH), Cambridge University, United Kingdom, December, 2007.
- “In This Greedy Roughhouse of Politics”: Issue, Class and the Public Sphere in the CNG controversy in Delhi’ presented at the Seventh Subaltern Studies Conference at the Center for Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), Delhi, 6-9 January, 2004.
- Panelist, Panel on “The Future of Undergraduate Education” National Undergraduate Research Workshop, Jindal Global Law School, Sonepat, Delhi March 2019.
- “Ambedkar on Nationalism as Social Democracy: Revisiting Old Insights in New Times” in National Seminar titled “Revisiting Dr. B.R. Ambedkar in the Era of Globalisation” organized by Political Science Department, Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University, March 2016.
- Discussant for paper titled “Publicity, transparency and the circulation engine: the media sting in India” presented by Professor Ravi Sundaram at CSDS Annual Faculty Seminar, December 2015.
- “Of Violent Charges and Slow Discharges: Death and Eventfulness in a Greater Noida Factory” presented at National Seminar titled “Contested Epistemologies: Event, Truth, Politics” organized by Ramjas and Venkateswara Colleges, Delhi University, March 2015.
- “Emerging Social Movements and Democracy”, ICSSR National Seminar titled Democracy in 21st Century: Prospects and Challenges” organized by Shaheed Bhagat Singh (Evening) College, Delhi University at India International Centre, Delhi, March 2015.
- Chair and discussant, panel on “Law and Marginalities” as part of the Annual Academic Congress of Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi University, March 2015. This was a national-level seminar.
- Session organizer, chair and discussant, panel on “Marginalized Voices: Gender and Caste Identity” as part of the Annual Academic Congress of Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi University. This was a national-level seminar sponsored by LSR College and UNWOMEN, February 2014.
- “The Changing Indian State in Urban Development: Collaborative Suburbanisation in Delhi-NCR 1980s to 2000s” presented at interdisciplinary ICCSR National Seminar organized by Department of Geography, Mumbai University on Contradictions of Development in the Globalising South; Socio-Spatial Perspectives, February 2014.
- “Women’s Education is So Twentieth Century!” presented at National Seminar on Women and Higher Education: Challenges and Prospectsorganised by University Women's Association of Delhi and Women's Studies & Development Centre, Delhi University,February 2013.
- “Sense and Sentimentality: A Political Fable” presented at UGC National Conference: The State of Hurt, organized by the Department of English Literature, Venkateswara College, Delhi University, October 2012.
- “Chronicle of a Death Foretold” presented at National Workshoptitled Critical Studies in Politics organized by Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla, March 2010.
- “Gender and the Disciplinary Context”,National Workshopon “Feminist Pedagogy” organized by Women’s Studies Programme, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, March 2007.
- “Women’s Colleges and Feminist Pedagogy” presented at the Silver Jubilee Conference of the Indian Association of Women's Studies, Lucknow, February 2008.
- “Gender and Space” presented at the National Dialogue “Justice in Divided Societies” organised by the Calcutta Mahanirban Research Group in collaboration with Lok Niti, Centre for Study of Developing Societies, Bhubaneshwar, September 2006.
- Paper presenter and discussant, National Seminar on “Globalisation” organized by Leftword Publications, Jamia Milia Islamia University, Delhi, December 2006.
- “The CNG Transition; Some Issues” presented at National Workshop titled “Urban Environments Workshop” organized by Sarai-CSDS, Delhi, November 2004.
- Talk on “Women and Nationalism” organized by the Women’s Development Cell, St. Stephens College, Delhi University, February 2016.
- “The Rural in Urban Delhi” presented at college-level seminar titled “Delhi Talkies: What we Talk about When we Talk about Delhi” organized by the Department ofEnglish, Kirori Mal College, Delhi University, March 2015.
- Speaker, regional-level discussion conducted by “Roundtable on Education” on “FYUP: Anatomy of A Struggle” held at Centre for Study of Developing Societies, July 2012, Delhi.
- Discussant, Young Scholars’ Seminar, Centre for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi, March 2014.
- Discussant, Young Scholars’ Seminar, Centre for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi, February, 2013.
- “Environmental Issues and the Urban Public Sphere” presented at seminar on “Delhi” organized by Departments of English and Sociology, Lady Shri Ram College, November 2005.
- “Nationalism and Anti-Nationalism” presented to English Department, Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi University, August 2003.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi University, 2005-2018.
- Guest Faculty, Department of Political Science, Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi University, 2003-2005.
- Nehru-Fulbright (Postdoctoral) Fellow, Columbia University, New York, USA, 2016-17
- Fellow (Associate Professor), Centre for Study of Developing Societies, Delhi, 2015-16
My Zone / Area of Expertise
My research interests include political theory especially from the global south; global feminist theory and transnational practices;and comparative histories of urbanisation and developmentalism in the twentieth century.
- The Nehru Centenary Chevening Scholarship for Cambridge University, 1998 -2000.
- The Oxford Cambridge Society of India scholarship, 1998.
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) awarded by the University Grants Commission (UGC, India), 2002.
- National Entrance Test (NET) certificate for lecturer-ship awarded by the UGC, 2002.
- Indian Council of Social Science Relations (ICSSR) PhD Fellowship awarded by the Center for Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), Delhi, 2003.
- Oxford University Prize for Best Paper presented at the Urban South Asia Conference organized by Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities, 2014.
- Member, Editorial Board, New Text Publishing, New Delhi.
- Reviewer, Economic and Political Weekly.
- Fellow, Commonwealth Society, U.K.
- “Engendering/Ungendering: Women, Power and Politics in India” (forthcoming from Orient Blackswan, 2020).
- “Sense and Sentimentality: A Political Fable” in Rina Ramdev, Sandhya Devisan Nambiar, Debaditya Bhattacharya (ed.) The State of Hurt: Sentiment, Politics, Censorship New Delhi, Sage, 2015. ISBN 9789351503040
- “Chronicle of a Death Untold: The Lethal Geographies of Delhi’s Periphery” in Nivedita Menon, Aditya Nigam and Sanjay Palshikar (edited) Critical Studies in Politics: Sites, Selves, Power New Delhi, Orient Blackswan (2013). ISBN-10: 8125052704; ISBN-13: 978-8125052708
- “Clean Air; Dirty Logic?” in Renu Desai and RomolaSanyal (edited): Urbanising Citizenship: Contested Spaces in Indian Cities Delhi, London and Thousand Oaks, California, Sage (2012). ISBN 9788132107309
- “Nationalism” in Rajeev Bhargava and Ashok Acharya (edited) Political Theory: An Introduction Penguin-Pearson, New Delhi (2008). ISBN 8131706257, 9788131706251
- “Socialism” in Rajeev Bhargava and Ashok Acharya (edited) Political Theory: An Introduction Penguin-Pearson, New Delhi (2008). ISBN 8131706257, 9788131706251.
- Review of ‘Emergence of the Political Subject’ by RanabirSamaddar titled “Towards Promising Intellectual Projects” Economic and Political Weekly 27 November 2010. ISSN 0012-9976, pp. 23-25.
- Review of “Decentralising Local Governance” by Biju Abraham and Surendra Pal Munshi, Social Scientist, Vol. 34, July-August 2006. ISSN: 0970-0293, pp. 99-102.
- Review of In the City, Out of Place by Awadhendra Sharan (Oxford University Press 2014), in Himal South Asian magazine. ISSN: 1012-9804.
- Review (in Hindi) of Israel as a Gift of the Arabs by ShailMayaram (Yoda Press 2016) in Pratimaan journal. Sarai-CSDS, Delhi.
- “The Remembered and the Forgotten” Firstpost India and the Indian series; www.firstpost.com
- Review of Eat Dust (Harper Collins 2015) by Hartman de Souza, in Himal South Asian Magazine. ISSN: 1012-9804.
- “The Place Beneath the Pines”, Motherland magazine. December 2014. ISSN: 0976-8319.
- “Let’s Talk about the Anti-Revolutions” Daily News and Analysis special New Year’s Supplement, January 01, 2012.
- “Life As Message” (Review of performance of Marathi play by G.P Deshpande, “Satyashodhak”), Tehelka Vol. 9, Issue 24, Dated June 16, 2012.
- “Dead Men Walking” Motherland magazine, Issue titled “Prisons” December 2011. ISSN: 0976-8319.
- “Those Who Still Can, Teach” Op-ed in Indian Express, October 2008.
- “Personal Histories: Nithari’s unimaginable crimes took place near our comfortable home” Tehelka, Vol 4, Issue 46, Dated Dec 01, 2007.
- “Nostalgia, Secession and the Absurdity of It All: Some Reflections on the Indian City”Himal South Asian magazine, June 2003. ISSN: 1012-9804.