Dr. Samik Chowdhury
Associate Professor , School of Global Affairs
- December 2017 - November 2018, Associate Professor, Institute of Economic Growth (IEG), Delhi, India
- May 2013 - December 2017, Assistant Professor, Institute of Economic Growth (IEG), Delhi, India
- March 2012 - April 2013, Assistant Professor, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, Rajasthan, India
- Sep 2009 - Feb 2012, Consultant, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP), New Delhi, India
- Visiting Faculty (Health Economics), Goa Institute of Management (GIM), Goa, India. October-December, 2018
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) international travel grant for attending the 33rd General Conference of the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth (IARIW), Rotterdam, The Netherlands. August 24-30, 2014.
- Finalist for the Global Development Network (GDN) award on Research on Development, 13th GDN Annual Conference, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary. June 14th-18th, 2012.
- Dr. S. N. Singh Award for best poster of the 30th Indian Association for the Study of Population (IASP) Conference held at Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bengaluru. October 17-20, 2008.
- Ford Foundation fellowship for attending the program on Knowledge Networking and Capacity Building on Gender, Macroeconomics and International Economics at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, May 26th – June 9th, 2005
- “Role of insurance in determining utilization of healthcare and financial risk protection in India” (with S Prinja, P Bahuguna, I Gupta and M Trivedi).PLoS ONE 14(2), February 2019. ISSN: 1932-6203.
- “Inequity & burden of out-of-pocket health spending: District level evidences from India” (with I Gupta, M Trivedi and S Prinja), Indian Journal of Medical Research, 148, August 2018, pp 180-189. Wolters Kluwer – Medknow. ISSN: 0971-5916.
- “Alternate Systems of Medicine in India—How Pervasive and Why?” (with P. Kundu), Journal of Health Management, 20(2), pp 178-189, April 2018. Sage Journals. ISSN: 0972-0634.
- ‘Does access to basic amenities influence health status? Evidence from a household survey in three states of India” (with I Gupta, S Prinja and M Trivedi), Journal of Infrastructure Development, 9(1), pp 23-35. July, 2017. Sage Journals. ISSN: 09749306.
- “Do health coverage schemes ensure financial protection from hospitalization expenses? Evidence from eight districts in India” (with I Gupta, M Trivedi and S Prinja), Journal of Social and Economic Development, 19 (1), pp 83-93. January 2017. Springer, ISSN: 2199-6873.
- “Out-of-Pocket Spending on Out-Patient Care in India: Assessment and Options Based on Results from a District Level Survey” (with I Gupta, S Prinja and M Trivedi), PLoS ONE, 11(11), November 2016. ISSN: 1932-6203.
- “Governance Performance of Indian States: Changes between 2001-02 and 2011-12” (with S. Mundle and S.Sikdar), (Special Article), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 51, No. 36, September 3, 2016, pp 55-64. ISSN: 2349-8846.
- “Public Retreat, Private Expenses and Penury—A Study of Illness Induced Impoverishment in Urban India”, Journal of Developing Societies. Volume 31, Issue 2, June 2015, Sage Journals. ISSN: 0972-5792
- “Correlates of Out-of-Pocket Spending in Nepal: Implications for Policy”, (with I.Gupta), WHO South East Asia Journal of Public Health. Volume 3, Issue 3-4, Jul - Dec 2014. ISSN: 2304-5272
- “Public financing for health coverage in India: Who spends, who benefits and at what cost” (with I. Gupta), (Special Article), Economic and Political Weekly Vol. 49, Issue No.35, August 30, 2014. ISSN: 2349-8846
- “Economic Burden of Malaria in India: Need for Effective Spending” (with I. Gupta), WHO South East Asia Journal of Public Health, Vol 3 (1), January-March 2014. ISSN: 2304-5272
- “The Quality of Governance: How Have Indian States Performed?” (with S. Mundle, P. Chakraborty and S.Sikdar), (Special Article), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 47, No. 49, December 8, 2012, pp 41-52. ISSN: 2349-8846
- "Financial Burden of Transient morbidity-A Case Study of Slums in Delhi", (Special Article), August 13, 2011, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 46, No. 33, pp 59-66, 2011. ISSN: 2349-8846
- Household Microenvironment and Its Impact on Infectious Diseases in India—Evidence from the National Sample Surveys. (with I. Gupta) In V. Dayal, A. Durairappah & N. Nawn (Eds.), Ecology, Economy and Society: Essays in Honour of Kanchan Chopra (pp. 225-238). Springer, 2018, Singapore. ISBN: 978-981-10-5674-1
- “Urban Concerns and their Impact on Health in India”, (with I. Gupta) in Policy Challenges from Demographic Change in China and India by Karen Eggleston, Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, 2016. Stanford University, USA. ISBN: 9781931368407
- “Scaling up Health Expenditure for Universal Health Coverage: Prospects and Challenges” (with I. Gupta), Chapter in India Infrastructure Report 2013|14, IDFC Foundation. New Delhi: Orient BlackSwan, September 2014. ISBN: 978 81 250 5610 2
- “Elementary Education: Outcomes and Policies” (with P Chakraborty) in State Level Reforms, Growth, and Development in Indian States by A. Panagariya, P. Chakraborty and M. G. Rao. May 2014, Oxford University Press, ISBN: 9780199367863.
- “Higher Education: Progress and Prospects” (with P Chakraborty) in State Level Reforms, Growth, and Development in Indian States by A. Panagariya, P. Chakraborty and M. G. Rao.May 2014, Oxford University Press, ISBN: 9780199367863.
- “Governance Performance of Indian States: 2001-02 and 2011-12” (with S Mundle and S Sikdar). NIPFP Working Paper No. 164. National Institute of Public Finance and Policy. March, 2016.
- Finances for Health in India: Are New Sources the Way to Go? (with I Gupta). IEG Working Paper No. 356. Institute of Economic Growth, 2015.
- “Financing for Health Coverage in India – Issues and Concerns” (with I Gupta). IEG Working Paper No. 346. Institute of Economic Growth, 2015.
- “The Quality of Governance - How Have Indian States Performed?” (with S.Mundle, P. Chakraborty and S. Sikdar), NIPFP Working Paper No. 2012-104, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP), 2012.
- "An Exploratory Analysis of Deprivation and Ill-health led Poverty in Urban India: A Case Study of Delhi", (with A. K. Mehta, S. Ghosh and S. Das), Chronic Poverty Research Centre (CPRC-India) Working Paper 49, 2011
- “Fiscal Marksmanship of Education Expenditure in India: Analyzing Forecast Errors through a Gender Lens” (with L. Chakraborty). MPRA Paper No. 85406. Available at https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/85406/1/MPRA_paper_85406.pdf
- “Fiscal Policy Stance and Gender Equality in Asia Pacific: An Empirical Analysis” (with L. Chakraborty and D. Elson). MPRA Paper No. 85402. Available at https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/85402/1/MPRA_paper_85402.pdf
- “India, the most populated country by the end of the century: Challenges of demographic change”, (Article in Spanish), Vanguardia Dossier, Number 69, July/September, 2018. Available at https://www.lavanguardia.com/vanguardia-dossier/20180615/4584615330/vanguardia-dossier-69-como-demografia-cambiara-mundo.html
- “Development as a measure of governance” (with S. Mundle and S. Sikdar). Business Standard. 15th December, 2016. Available at http://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/development-as-a-measure-of-governance-116121501468_1.html
- “Governance performance of Indian states: 2001-02 and 2011-12” (with S. Mundle and S. Sikdar). Ideas for India. 13th December 2016. Available at http://ideasforindia.in/article.aspx?article_id=1742
- “Inputs and outputs: health, education and development”. TeacherPlus, May-June 2016. Available at http://www.teacherplus.org/2016/may-june-2016/inputs-and-outputs-health-education-and-development
- “Public spending on health coverage: Are we raising the right questions?” (with I Gupta). Ideas for India, 13th February 2015. Available at http://www.ideasforindia.in/article.aspx?article_id=411
Seminar / Conferences
International Conference/Workshop Participation
- April 20-24, 2015: Regional Capacity Building Workshop on One Health Tool for costing of newborn action plans organized by UNICEF and WHO. Kathmandu, Nepal.
- August 24-30, 2014: 33rd General Conference of the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth (IARIW), Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- May 24-25, 2014: Conference on “Urbanization and Demographic Change in China and India”, organized by APARC, Stanford Centre at Peking University, Beijing, China
- April 20-21, 2014: Workshop on “Moving towards Universal Health Coverage in Nepal”, jointly organized by Government of Nepal and SEARO-WHO at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- June 14th-18th, 2012: 13th Global Development Network (GDN) Annual Conference, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary.
- March 10-12, 2011: International Workshop on Health Risks & Vulnerability to Poverty in South Asia jointly organized by the University of Hyderabad and Concordia university, Canada at Hyderabad.
- November1-4, 2010: 8th International GLOBELICS Conference held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- May 26th – June 9th, 2005: Visiting Fellow in the Program on Knowledge Networking and Capacity Building on Gender, Macroeconomics and International Economics at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
National Conference/Workshop Presentation
- April 20, 2019: National symposium on “Sustainable Development Goals: Prospects and Challenges”, organized by Department of Economics, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- August 5-10, 2018: India Tobacco Control Leadership Programme, organized by Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University in Goa.
- August 3-4, 2016: Conference on Key Findings from NSSO Surveys for Health at The Lalit, New Delhi jointly organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, National Health System Resource Centre, BMGF and WHO.
- March 9-10, 2016: 2nd Annual Public Health Symposium on Universal Health Coverage organized by School of Public Health, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh.
- December 15-16, 2014. Seminar on Economy of Tomorrow organized by Institute of Economic Growth in collaboration with Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
- September 8-12, 2014: Workshop on National Health Mission: Achievements and Challenges, Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi
- March 16-17, 2011: Papers in Public Economics (PIPE) Conference at National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi
- December 16-18, 2009: Fifth Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development, Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), New Delhi
- January 24-25, 2009: National Conference on Challenges in Human Development in India held at Centre for Development Studies (CDS), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- October 17-20, 2008: 30th Indian Association for the Study of Population (IASP) Conference held at Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore.
- January 5-8, 2006:The 42nd Indian Econometric Society Conference, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- January 20-22, 2005:The 41st Indian Econometric Society Conference, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.