Dr. Samik Chowdhury
Associate Professor , School of Global Affairs
- PhD, MPhil (Economics), Jawaharlal Nehru University
- MSc, BSc (Economics), University of Calcutta
- December 2017 - November 2018, Associate Professor, Institute of Economic Growth (IEG), Delhi, India
- May 2013 - December 2017, Assistant Professor, Institute of Economic Growth (IEG), Delhi, India
- March 2012 - April 2013, Assistant Professor, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, Rajasthan, India
- Sep 2009 - Feb 2012, Consultant, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP), New Delhi, India
- Visiting Faculty (Health Economics), Goa Institute of Management (GIM), Goa, India.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
My research and teaching interests are in the areas of health economics and policy, public finance and urban studies.
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) international travel grant to participate in the 33rd General Conference of the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth (IARIW), Rotterdam, The Netherlands. August 24-30, 2014.
- Finalist for the Global Development Network (GDN) award on Research on Development, 13th GDN Annual Conference, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary. June 14th-18th, 2012.
- Dr. S. N. Singh Award for best poster of the 30th Indian Association for the Study of Population (IASP) Conference held at Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bengaluru. October 17-20, 2008.
- Ford Foundation fellowship to participate in the program on Knowledge Networking and Capacity Building on Gender, Macroeconomics and International Economics at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, May 26th – June 9th, 2005
- "Health Investment Priorities in India - A New Methodology based Analysis of State Budgets" (with I. Gupta and A. Ranjan). Journal of Health Management, Vol 22, No. 3, September 2020. Sage Journals.
- "Ayushman Bharat - Costs and Finances of the PMJAY" (with I. Gupta, A. Roy, and Ramandeep). Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 55, No. 36, September 5, 2020, pp 56-64.
- "Designing a Framework for Benefit Packages: Achieving Universal Health Coverage in India" (with S Prinja, A Sharma, I Gupta and M Trivedi). Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 54, No. 30, 27 Jul, 2019.
- "Socioeconomic inequality in life expectancy in India" (with M Asaria, S Mazumdar, P Mazumdar, A Mukhopadhyay and I Gupta). BMJ Global Health, 4(3), May 2019.
- “Role of insurance in determining utilization of healthcare and financial risk protection in India” (with S Prinja, P Bahuguna, I Gupta and M Trivedi). PLOS One 14(2), February 2019.
- “Inequity & burden of out-of-pocket health spending: District level evidences from India” (with I Gupta, M Trivedi and S Prinja), Indian Journal of Medical Research, 148, August 2018, pp 180-189. Wolters Kluwer – Medknow.
- “Alternate Systems of Medicine in India—How Pervasive and Why?” (with P. Kundu), Journal of Health Management, 20(2), pp 178-189, April 2018. Sage Journals.
- ‘Does access to basic amenities influence health status? Evidence from a household survey in three states of India” (with I Gupta, S Prinja and M Trivedi), Journal of Infrastructure Development, 9(1), pp 23-35. July, 2017. Sage Journals.
- “Do health coverage schemes ensure financial protection from hospitalization expenses? Evidence from eight districts in India” (with I Gupta, M Trivedi and S Prinja), Journal of Social and Economic Development, 19 (1), pp 83-93. January 2017. Springer.
- “Out-of-Pocket Spending on Out-Patient Care in India: Assessment and Options Based on Results from a District Level Survey” (with I Gupta, S Prinja and M Trivedi), PLOS One, 11(11), November 2016.
- “Governance Performance of Indian States: Changes between 2001-02 and 2011-12” (with S. Mundle and S.Sikdar), (Special Article), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 51, No. 36, September 3, 2016, pp 55-64.
- “Public Retreat, Private Expenses and Penury—A Study of Illness Induced Impoverishment in Urban India”, Journal of Developing Societies. Volume 31, Issue 2, June 2015, Sage Journals.
- “Correlates of Out-of-Pocket Spending in Nepal: Implications for Policy”, (with I.Gupta), WHO South East Asia Journal of Public Health. Volume 3, Issue 3-4, Jul - Dec 2014.
- “Public financing for health coverage in India: Who spends, who benefits and at what cost” (with I. Gupta), (Special Article), Economic and Political Weekly Vol. 49, Issue No.35, August 30, 2014.
- “Economic Burden of Malaria in India: Need for Effective Spending” (with I. Gupta), WHO South East Asia Journal of Public Health, Vol 3 (1), January-March 2014.
- “The Quality of Governance: How Have Indian States Performed?” (with S. Mundle, P. Chakraborty and S.Sikdar), (Special Article), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 47, No. 49, December 8, 2012, pp 41-52.
- "Financial Burden of Transient morbidity-A Case Study of Slums in Delhi", (Special Article), August 13, 2011, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 46, No. 33, pp 59-66, 2011.
- Universal Health Coverage in BRICS: What India Can Learn from the BRICS Experience? (with I Gupta). In B.P. Abraham & P Ray (Eds), The Political Economy of the BRICS Countries: Volume 1 (pp 113-142). Singapore: World Scientific. March 2020.
- Household Microenvironment and Its Impact on Infectious Diseases in India—Evidence from the National Sample Surveys. (with I. Gupta) In V. Dayal, A. Durairappah & N. Nawn (Eds.), Ecology, Economy and Society: Essays in Honour of Kanchan Chopra (pp. 225-238). Springer, 2018, Singapore.
- “Urban Concerns and their Impact on Health in India”, (with I. Gupta) in Policy Challenges from Demographic Change in China and India by Karen Eggleston, Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, 2016. Stanford University, USA.
- “Scaling up Health Expenditure for Universal Health Coverage: Prospects and Challenges” (with I. Gupta), Chapter in India Infrastructure Report 2013|14, IDFC Foundation. New Delhi: Orient BlackSwan, September 2014.
- "Priorities in Budgetary Allocations for Health during the Fourteenth Finance Commission: Evidence from Five States (with I Gupta, A Ranjan and D.S. Saun). Institute of Economic Growth Working Paper No. 419, February 2021
- "Fiscal Space and Expenditure Priorities post -14th Finance Commission: A Study of Five Indian States" (with I Gupta). IEG Working Paper No. 400, July 2020.
- “Governance Performance of Indian States: 2001-02 and 2011-12” (with S Mundle and S Sikdar). NIPFP Working Paper No. 164. March, 2016.
- Finances for Health in India: Are New Sources the Way to Go? (with I Gupta). IEG Working Paper No. 356, 2015.
- “Financing for Health Coverage in India – Issues and Concerns” (with I Gupta). IEG Working Paper No. 346, 2015.
- “The Quality of Governance - How Have Indian States Performed?” (with S.Mundle, P. Chakraborty and S. Sikdar), NIPFP Working Paper No. 2012-104, 2012.
- "An Exploratory Analysis of Deprivation and Ill-health led Poverty in Urban India: A Case Study of Delhi", (with A. K. Mehta, S. Ghosh and S. Das), Chronic Poverty Research Centre (CPRC-India) Working Paper 49, 2011
- “Fiscal Marksmanship of Education Expenditure in India: Analyzing Forecast Errors through a Gender Lens” (with L. Chakraborty). MPRA Paper No. 85406. Available at https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/85406/1/MPRA_paper_85406.pdf
- “Fiscal Policy Stance and Gender Equality in Asia Pacific: An Empirical Analysis” (with L. Chakraborty and D. Elson). MPRA Paper No. 85402. Available at https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/85402/1/MPRA_paper_85402.pdf
- “India, the most populated country by the end of the century: Challenges of demographic change”, (Article translated to Spanish), Vanguardia Dossier, Number 69, July/September, 2018. Available at https://www.lavanguardia.com/vanguardia-dossier/20180615/4584615330/vanguardia-dossier-69-como-demografia-cambiara-mundo.html
- “Development as a measure of governance” (with S. Mundle and S. Sikdar). Business Standard. 15th December, 2016. Available at http://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/development-as-a-measure-of-governance-116121501468_1.html
- “Governance performance of Indian states: 2001-02 and 2011-12” (with S. Mundle and S. Sikdar). Ideas for India. 13th December 2016. Available at http://ideasforindia.in/article.aspx?article_id=1742
- “Inputs and outputs: health, education and development”. TeacherPlus, May-June 2016. Available at http://www.teacherplus.org/2016/may-june-2016/inputs-and-outputs-health-education-and-development
- “Public spending on health coverage: Are we raising the right questions?” (with I Gupta). Ideas for India, 13th February 2015. Available at http://www.ideasforindia.in/article.aspx?article_id=411
Seminar / Conferences
International Conference/Workshop presentations
- November, 2020: Sixth Global Symposium on Health Systems Research (held online).
- July, 2019: World Congress of the International Health Economics Association (IHEA), University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland.
- April, 2015: Regional Capacity Building Workshop on One Health Tool for costing of newborn action plans organized by UNICEF and WHO. Kathmandu, Nepal.
- August, 2014: 33rd General Conference of the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth (IARIW), Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- May, 2014: Conference on “Urbanization and Demographic Change in China and India”, organized by APARC, Stanford Centre at Peking University, Beijing, China
- April, 2014: Workshop on “Moving towards Universal Health Coverage in Nepal”, jointly organized by Government of Nepal and SEARO-WHO at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- June, 2012: 13th Global Development Network (GDN) Annual Conference, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary.
- March, 2011: International Workshop on Health Risks & Vulnerability to Poverty in South Asia jointly organized by the University of Hyderabad and Concordia university, Canada at Hyderabad.
- November, 2010: 8th International GLOBELICS Conference held at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- May, 2005: Visiting Fellow in the Program on Knowledge Networking and Capacity Building on Gender, Macroeconomics and International Economics at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
National Conference/Workshop Presentation
- April, 2019: National symposium on “Sustainable Development Goals: Prospects and Challenges”, organized by Department of Economics, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- August, 2018: India Tobacco Control Leadership Programme, organized by Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University in Goa.
- August, 2016: Conference on Key Findings from NSSO Surveys for Health at The Lalit, New Delhi jointly organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, National Health System Resource Centre, BMGF and WHO.
- March, 2016: 2nd Annual Public Health Symposium on Universal Health Coverage organized by School of Public Health, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh.
- December, 2014. Seminar on Economy of Tomorrow organized by Institute of Economic Growth in collaboration with Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
- September, 2014: Workshop on National Health Mission: Achievements and Challenges, IEG, Delhi
- March, 2011: Papers in Public Economics (PIPE) Conference at NIPFP, New Delhi• December, 2009: Fifth Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development, Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), New Delhi
- January, 2009: National Conference on Challenges in Human Development in India held at Centre for Development Studies (CDS), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- October, 2008: 30th Indian Association for the Study of Population (IASP) Conference held at Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore.
- January, 2006:The 42nd Indian Econometric Society Conference, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- January, 2005:The 41st Indian Econometric Society Conference, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- May, 2020: Webinar on Fighting Corona Crisis in Africa and India: Challenges & Options, organized by the Shahid Bhagat Singh Evening College, University of Delhi and India-Africa Knowledge Forum (IAKF), Delhi.
- April, 2019: National Symposium on Sustainable Development Goals: Prospects and Challenges, Department of Economics, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- February, 2020: Panel discussion on “Interrogating Inequalities”, School of Global Affairs, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- January, 2020: Training programme on Public Finance for the Officer Trainees of Indian Audit & Accounts Service, NIPFP, New Delhi.
- January, 2017: Talk delivered to Legislative Assistants to Members of Parliament (LAMP) Fellows, PRS Legislative Research, New Delhi
- September, 2016: Seminar at the Centre for International Trade and Development, School of International Studies, JNU, New Delhi.
- August, 2016: Training Programme for Indian Economic Services Promotee Officers at IEG, New Delhi.
- May, 2016: Orientation workshop on Rural Livelihoods and Well Being for research scholars at IEG, New Delhi.
- 2015 to 2021: Delivered ten invited lectures at O.P. Jindal Global University, Sonipat, Haryana in their Certificate Programmes on Public Policy and Governance for officials of the Union and State governments.