Dr. Pavan Kumar
Assistant Professor , School of Global Affairs
- PhD (CIPOD- Jawaharlal Nehru University)- Examining Vallabhbhai Patel's Approach to India's Foreign Policy.
- UPES Dehradun, National University of Singapore, Janki Devi Memorial College- University of Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University
My Zone / Area of Expertise
- Theories of International Relations, Vallabhbai Patel,India's Foreign Policy, Caste and International Relations, Indo-China Relations, Climate Change, South Asia, Great Power Politics, Realism, Machiavelli
- South Asian Futures Fellowship (SAFF) hosted by the Council for Strategic and Defense Research (CSDR), New Delhi, India and supported by Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES),
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), SRF in International Relations and Area Studies, from University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi in December 2012.
- ISA travel grant for ISA Annual Convention 2022.
- National Eligibility Test (NET-UGC) in International Relations and Area Studies.
- National Eligibility Test (NET-UGC) in Defense and Strategic Studies, MAY 2013.
- National Eligibility Test (NET-UGC) in Political Science, June 2014.
- Pavan Kumar (2023), Blame Game on Article 370: Patel, Nehru, and Ayyangar, Strategic Analysis, 47:1, 48- 60, Taylor andFrancis, DOI: 10.1080/09700161.2023.2183589
- Pavan Kumar. ‘India Balancing China: Exploring Soft Balancing Through Indo- Pacific’, Millennial Asia: An International Journal of Asian Studies, 2021, Taylor and Francis, Link: https://doi.org/10.1177/0976399621998274
- Pavan Kumar. ‘Bringing Machiavelli and Kant Back in on Morality and World Politics’, International Studies, 2019, vol. 56, 4: pp. 292-307, Sage, Available at:https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0020881719863284
- Pavan Kumar and Aarushi. “Exploring Australia and New Zealand’s ClimatePolicies: Similarities and Differences”. Indigenous Voices and Climate Change, Edited by Niki Joseph Paul Alsford, Palgrave Macmillan, 2022, Available at: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-98460-1_10
- Pavan Kumar and Vikash Chandra, “Covid-19 and its impact on Liberal International Order”, World Affairs: The Journal of International Issues, Winter 2022, Vol 26, No.4, pp.104-114
- Pavan Kumar and Aarushi, “Notes from a Survey: How Did the COVID-19 Pandemic Affect Female University Students?,” The Wire (March 3, 2023). n.d. https://thewire.in/women/notes-from-a-survey-how-did-the-covid-19-pandemic-affect- female-university-students.
- Pavan Kumar and Aarushi, “Underbalancing China not in India’s Interest”, The Annapurna Express, January 4, 2023, Available at: https://epaper.amn.media/annapurnaexpress-detail/2357#gallery-4
- Pavan Kumar and Aarushi, Cost of India’s Underbalancing of China, December 15, 2022, Available at: https://niice.org.np/archives/8436
- Pavan Kumar. ‘ India-Japan Relations Under Modi 1.0: Exploring Political, Economic and Security Cooperation’, World Affairs: The Journal of International Issues, Autumn 2020 (July -September), Vol 24, No. 3, pp. 42-53, Available at: https://www.jstor.org/stable/48590642?seq=1
Seminar / Conferences
- Presented a paper on ‘Women and Indian IR’ at the ISA Annual Convention 2022, Nashville, Tennessee
- Appeared on a podcast on ‘Caste and it’s absence from critiques of Indian foreign policy’ hosted by Urvashi Sarkar at Suno India, Beyond Nation &State, 2022, Available at: https://www.sunoindia.in/beyond-nation-and-state/caste-and-its- absence-from-critiques-of-indian-foreign-policy/
- Spoke on ‘Caste and International Relations’ at the Global South Adda hosted by Dr Vineet Thakur (Leiden University), Link available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcefzg6Zo24&t=2853s
- Presented a paper titled, ‘Ambedkar’s China Policy’ at the workshop on International in Ambedkar organized by Shiv Nadar University, November 2020
- Completed a certificate course on ‘Indian Military Strategy: its crafting and implementation’ coordinated by Lt. Gen D S Hooda (Retd.) and offered by Council for Strategic and Defense Research (5th September 2021- 26th September 2021)
- Participated in Nordic Summer School from April 19-23, 2021, organized by Center for European Studies, JNU and Nordic Center in India on ‘Understanding European Integration through the Regional Lens’.
- Presented a paper titled, ‘Getting China Wrong: Understanding Underbalancing From Nehru to Modi’, at the Young Scholars Summit 2020, NIICE, September 2020
- Presented a paper titled ‘Belt and Road Initiative and Indian Response: Testing the Balance of Threat Theory’ at the workshop on Chinese studies, organized by Institute of Chinese Studies New Delhi and Shiv Nadar University, Noida, 19-21 July 2019
- Presented a paper on ‘Examining India’s Ascendancy in Asia in Relation to China: Claims, Capabilities, Challenges and Possibilities’ at the All India International and Area Studies Convention 2019,’ organized by Jawaharlal Nehru University, 29 February 2019.
- Attended winter school on ‘Life and Thought of M.K. Gandhi’ organized by Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS), Shimla. December (1-15) 2016.
- Presented a paper titled “Going Beyond Survival; The Analogy of Prodigious Indian Defense Expenditure and Human Security” at the conference on International Relations organized by Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, 2014
- Presented a paper titled, “Climate Change- A threat to National Security of India- Understanding and Identifying the key threats to Indian National Security, emanating from Climate Change” at the Conference on Climate Change, Organized by Union Christian College, Umium (Shillong) , Meghalaya, 2015
Presented a paper titled, “Vallabhbhai Patel’s views on International Politics”, at the National Seminar on “Relevance of Modern Indian Political Thought: Gandhi, Hedgewar, Golwalkar, Savarkar, Patel, Ambedkar, Nehru, Md. Iqbal and Maulana Madoodi” on 4-5 October, 2017 organized by Department of Political Science, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (India)
- Presented a paper on “Life of Manibehn Patel” at the National Seminar organized by G.B.Pant Institute of Social Science, December 2022
- Presented a paper on ‘Yoga as Soft Power under Modi: Aims, Achievements, and Challenges’, at International Conference on India and Post Covid-19 International Relations: Prospects and Challenges, 14-15 December 2022, organized by Woxsen University.
- Delivered an invited lecture on ‘India’s China Challenge: The Way Forward’ at the Department of Political Science, Kumaraguru College of Liberal Arts and Science on October 21, 2022.
- Presented a paper on ‘India’s Strategic Blunder: The China case’ at National Seminar, Rajasthan University, January 2023.
- Chaired a session on India and South Asia at National Seminar, Rajasthan University, January 2023.
- Chaired a session on Women in India’s Freedom Struggle at the National Seminar organized by G.B.Pant Institute of Social Science, December 2022