|Course Type||Course Code||No. Of Credits|
Semester and Year Offered: Semester 2 Winter 2019 onwards
Course Coordinator and Team: Severin Kuok
Email of course coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the second semester, after becoming familiar with the Chinese phonetic structure, tones, pronunciation, character writing and simple grammatical structure, the students will be taught new grammatical components and more complex grammatical structures. The corpus of vocabulary will also be increased simultaneously. As a section of this foundation course, listening, speaking, reading and writing skills will be built upon in a systematic manner.
- The most general objectives of the course are to introduce China, its language and culture. Specific objectives are to help students develop an informed understanding of Chinese linguistic behaviour, society and culture. Concrete objectives include:
- Further increase the students grasp on the grammatical structure and vocabulary in Chinese.
- Increase the use of the most basic and frequently used everyday expressions in Chinese.
- Gaining fluency in speaking and increasing listening ability for everyday use of the language.
- The students should be able to read and write over 100 characters and comprehend more than 150 words.
Expected learning outcomes:
- Ability to understand and use a larger vocabulary corpus.
- Gain fluency in speaking and use of complex grammatical structures.
Brief description of modules/ Main modules:
- Week 1: Introduction of the structural particle 的 indicating possession.
- Names of some countries of the world in Chinese
- Week 2: Use of the attributive (adjectival modifier). Introduction and use of interrogative pronouns.
- Week 3: Introduction to the verb 有and its negative use.Expanding the use of the measure words.
- The different ways of expressing the number 2.
- Week 4: Sentences with and adjective as a predicate. Formation of affirmative-negative questions.
- Week 5: Reading and comprehension of paragraphs.
- Week 6: Sentences with verbal predicates and their negative forms. Plural suffix.
- Week 7:Use of adverbial adjunct. Different uses of prepositions 上and 下.
- Week 8:Chinese currency and monetary units.
- Week 9:Reading time in Chinese.
- Week 10:Chinese calendar and days of the week.
- Week 11:Expanded use of everyday sentences including which day of the week it is, what time it is.
- Week 12: Formation of simple paragraphs with acquired vocabulary and grammar.
Assessment Details with weights:
- Class performance 10%
- Test 1 10%
- Presentation 20%
- Mid-semester 20%
- Final examination 40%
- Elementary Chinese Reader (Revised Edition) Part 1 with Audio CDs , published by Sinolingua, Beijing, China
- Elementary Chinese Reader (Revised Edition) Part 2 with Audio CDs, published by Sinolingua, Beijing, China